Saturday, February 28, 2009

Strange happenings

Sometimes the best moments come when you least expect them. At the moment, there's lots of confusion as to when and where I'll be moving. I'll be moving to host family number three. My days seem endless and my thai friends are all occuppied studying for finals that continue week after week. School ends next week for them. As soon as testing started, I was told I didn't need to go to school.

I spend my days wandering around the town. I walk from one side of town, to the other, back to the first side. By the end of the day, I'm exhausted, redfaced from the heat and my hair is in a state of curling and uncurling sweaty frenzy.

It sounds so silly, but going to a hair salon can make my day. Sometimes I'll pay for it to get washed and blow dried and straightened simply to have something to do. For $1.50 it's not bad entertainment and I always come out feeling better. The women always tell you you're pretty and the airconditioning is a nice perk.

The highpoint of today was dancing with taiwanese and thai people during a rotary party. The chinese karaoke sung by twenty women all wearing pink made me wish I hadn't broken my camera.

Only fifteen minutes ago, one of the young men from bahrain studying at the aviation school handed me a pomegranate juice. I have no idea why. I answered automatically in thai with a kob khun ka.

I don't think I've mentioned these boys before. They're all in their mid to late twenties. They stay at the 4 star hotel every night and they play tennis on Tuesdays. Sometimes they'll run through the lobby of the hotel kicking a soccer ball ( to the dismay of the heavily make-uped receptionists). They've seen me around town for months and still haven't gotten used to me.

1 comment:

david1082 said...

They would all perhaps have to go blind before they could truly get used to seeing you....;-)