Monday, February 2, 2009

The Ghost Doctor

In Thailand, ghosts are real. They can haunt you. They can come inside you and possess you and destroy you. That's why, there's the ghost doctor.My grandmother until last weekend, was possessed. A ghost inside of her had caused horrible dreams and pain in her back and stomach. She couldn't eat solid food.I came home one day to find a woman with my grandmother. She was blessing an amulet. The amulet was to be kept inside the gloves that my grandmother wears when she sleeps so that the power of buddha would protect her from the demon inside.Two days later, it had reached a critical stage. An intervention was needed.My grandmother went to the Ghost Doctor and was exorcised.The old women in the village held a Bai See Su Kuan ceremony. Monks chanted and the villagers hollered.White strings were tied around my grandmother's wrists and neck.One day later and she's back to normal.Once again she can eat regular rice and sleep well. She still sleeps with the amulet and she won't cut off the white strings.I never thought that I would be able to say that I live with an exorcised woman. But then again, I'm not in kansas anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spy assures me that ghosts are indeed real - but Falang people cannot see them as they have no 6th sense. I tell him we have a 7th sense instead which makes him laugh. Have you seen the Thai website of ghost movies - it is longer than all the movies made in Hollywood!!