Monday, February 9, 2009

Tradition and Ritual

Today is the third day of the full moon of the third month. That is, according to my host father. It's therefore Buddha's birthday.

.....I had a whole artistic post with philisophical insights included but somewhere between the crazy man and the handsome laughing monk with a gangster tattoo I lost it. So in my loss of words, please permit me to use fragments.

Three walks around the village temple grounds, three wishes at the steps of a wat during reconstruction. Orion scorching the sky with sparse clouds and a full moon. The continual chant of the villagers. Children carrying their flowers, incense and candles with shrieks of delight as the wind continues to blow the flame out. The smell of the incense filling the air.

Life felt so full of promise.

2 comments:

Van Omenomlet said...

You're a great writer Sai. Going to the Wat was one of my favorite things to do, I especially liked the ones where I could go sit in the quiet and think, or sketch. There is no where here I can do that.

Unknown said...

It's freezing and damp in Corvallis - I am at some lunchtime concert at LBCC with Poy for OR's 150th b'day. More on the phone. Peter