Saturday, November 29, 2008

Whoo, it's been a long week.

Last saturday, Emma and I got on a "Super VIP" bus to Korat, there we met up with Peter Nyholm (british, american, australian rotarian married to a thai and old friend of the family) his wife Julie, and her two children, a girl named Poy and a boy named Spy.

Poy was my childhood pen pal, she didn't speak much english at the time, so mainly we just exchanged gifts. I always got really excited when I received something new, like a funky washcloth or purse. Now, she's 19 and coming to America in January. Her brother is moving as well and will start school. Spy is CRAZY!! I love that kid. He loves to speak english, but his favortie phrases are "Big ass" and "come on boy!" I told him that I was a girl, and he switched to "come on baby." I have no idea how the american school system will deal with him.

Emma and I stayed with them in their house in Pak Chong, near Korat for 3 days. During that time we hiked in the jungle, I swam illegally in a waterfall, we took pictures of monkeys, went shopping, and bough pirated movies (shhh, don't tell anyone). After 3 days, the whole family, including the grandmother, packed ourselves into the truck and drove to Bangkok. We stayed in Bangkok for a few days and on thursday morning, we woke up very early and drove to Rayong, a beach town two hours south east of Bangkok. We even drove past the airport that had been taken over by protestors. They've seized the airport and all flights are cancelled. I saw no protestors and I saw no policemen, just an empty highway.

We took a motorboat from Rayong to an island by the name of Ko Samet, we landed on the west side, the posh side. Beach bungalows made up a resort on white sand beaches and teal waters. It was stunning. After swimming for the first time in a warm ocean, our bodies were covered with salt. Snorkeling shortly followed. Peter, Spy, Poy, Emma and I swam from one side of the bay to the other in our flippers. Floating over dead coral reefs, we wondered at the size of purple glowing sea urchins and giraffe spotted fish. Poy held my hand on the way back, the sea urchins scared her.

On Friday morning, emma and I caught a bus out to Nakhon Phanom from the Moshit bus station. Poy has a dog name mosheet, but his new nickname is No shit, Mo Shit. He's pretty cute (a toy poodle). Emma and I made the mistake of not taking the 99 bus and taking the 44 bus instead. This bus stopped in every little town and picked up passengers illegally, filling the isle way for 20฿ a pop. The money went directly into the pockets of the bus stewardess and the driver, welcome so Thailand. It took 14 hours. Meanwhile, both our cellphone batteries died.

Emma was in pain from getting the worst sunburns of her life and I was hungry. We slept through the lunch stop and our dinner consisted of a mango, shared between the two of us.
After we got back to her house, emma and I politely explained to her host father that we were starving and wanted to go eat at a restaurant because there was no food at home. Off we went on our bikes. Just in time to catch the last of our friend's birthday party. We thought that it had finished, but were lucky enough to be riding past the outdoor bar it was held at when the cake candles were being blown. We were tired, hungry and wearing our lounge clothes, but the party welcomed us and gave us food and cake.

I slept at Emma's house that night and this morning we talked about switching houses. Emma is switching tomorrow and I'm switching on Tuesday. I'm a little worried about the living situation. One house is 30 km away from town and the other house is on the school grounds. I've heard that there's no running water at the school house. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work after two weeks I'll be on the rotary tour and I'll talk to Mr. Peter (the one in charge ish) and ask for advice.

I came home today to a house full of relatives and three letters. One from my mother, one from my grandmother and one from my friend Breanna. I'm listening to the CD that breanna sent me at this moment. My best wishes go out to all three of those amazing women and I hope that all are doing well. I know I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suki--you ARE having one helluva great time! Very exciting adventures--much better than renovating a house. Definitely!
I once made a turkey for a Thanksgiving table centerpiece, using pineapple, zuchinni, olives, cherry tomatoes, red peppers & other veggies stuck on toothpicks. Although I didn't create such a centerpiece this year, we had the most wonderful Thanksgiving evening with friends. I dragged my cello along & played duets with the hostess--fun! All that notwithstanding, I'd've rather swam in teal waters & ogled fish & coral.
Fabulous!