Monday, January 12, 2009

The L word.

If I haven't mentioned before, part of the Rotary Youth Exchange is that each student has at least two host families. I have three. Currently, I am staying with my second family. They are incredibly kind and adore me. I love staying with them and I go to bed smiling almost every night.
This week, my host mother and host grandmother are in Bangkok visiting family and the hospital. I was orginally going to go with them but plans changed. I spent the weekend inKhon kaen for a friend's birthday and then I came right back to Nakhon Phanom.
I'm staying with my host dad and brother and with any other family, it would be a little uncomfortable. It isn't with them. We laugh so much.
Last night, we were in the car and my host father asked me if I really had to change host families. I said I wasn't sure and would need to talk to Rotary. The rest of the night, he and my host brother continued to talk about me staying with them until I left for the U.S.
If I hadn't already met my third host family, I'm sure I would have said yes. I met my third hsot family a few months ago and they are all so excited to host me. I'll have two younger sisters and a little brother. My third host mother is knitting me a sweater and every time I see her, she insists on sending me home with food, bags and bags of food.
I told my host second host father that I would switch to my thrid host family in april, but if I didn't like it, I would move back in with them. I never thought I'd have my host family get so attached to me. I wanted them to, but I never thought it possible. My host parents say they love me. It's weird to think that someday I'll have to leave them and I don't know if I'll ever see them again.

1 comment:

itsLadam said...

That post was really different for me. Usually I don't write about whats going on inside my head, I keep that to myself, but that day was so special to me I felt I had to share. I'm glad you liked it. Ecuador can be very sabai at times, school not being one of those times. But as we say here, "Asi es la vida", such is life...