Sunday, October 12, 2008

So much to say, so little time.

Alright, SO I spent the last week in Bangkok, met my Dad's friend Steve and basically had a whirlwind time. I think I'll write about it later.
Yesterday, I had my first day back in Nakhon Phanom. I was whisked away to Wat That Pranom (a temple) 50 km away at seven in the morning. Thai dance strikes again. I went with my thai dance group and Emma to a giant thai dance practice with five other girls. It was hot and we were dancing barefoot--on concrete. One teacher walked around with a peacock feather and hit the girls that weren't in formation with it. Her hair is spiked up strangely and she's very grumpy. It's frustrating when someone is waving around a feather at you because he/she assumes that you couldn't possibly understand them if he/she used words. The group took a break for "5 minutes." After ten minutes of waiting, emma and I decided that it was safe enough to buy an ice cream from the mulitple ice cream trucks around the temple. As we were eating our ice cream, the massive group of boys and girls began to congregate outside the temple in the street. Once again, we were whisked away with the crowd, still holding our ice creams. The next thing I know, I am transfering my ice cream cone back and forth from left hand to right hand as I am trying to keep up in the dance. My feet are burning and the lady with a peacock feather starts walking around again. The final touch was during the last move when we prostrate ourselves in front of the temple and my bare legs (I was wearing capris) must rest on the roadside for a full five counts.

This grueling routine of dancing barefoot on concrete holding peacock feathers is in preparation for a festival called Li rua fi. The festival itself (shops, food vendors, crazy rides) has already started. I missed the opening while in BKK. Li rua fi is also called the dragon boat festival. HUGE bamboo boats have been in the works for over a month. On Tuesday, they will be lit up and will float down the Mekhong River. It's the biggest festival in Nakhon Phanom and tourists have come from all over the countryside. On Tuesday, at the temple, I will dance in traditional Thai costume. That's what all the practices have been for.

After dance practice, Emma and I met the Australian boys for an almost goodbye lunch. They leave early monday morning. We decided to go the the festival and somehow I got talked into bungee jumping (of sorts). I was placed in a harness and attached to bungee cords on both sides. The next thing I know, my stomach has gone up and down several times and I am flying. People are watching and the announcer is describing me as a beautiful falang exchange student that can speak thai. I did a flip or two and decided that my legs couldn't take it any longer. The harness was very tight and feeling almost zero gravity does weird things to one's legs. The couldn't stop shaking for almost twenty minutes.

We walked around the festival and eventually ended up at the balloons. I call them balloons because there really isn't any other word for them. They are big air bubbles that people can go inside. They float on a pool of water. Emma and I went in one together and as I got up, she fell down, or she stood up aand walked and I got forced into a somersault. Imagine being inside of a hamster ball. Now, put two hamsters inside the hamster ball. That's what we were. I have to say, I laughed so much my sides hurt.

After all the fun, we went back to bungee jumping and I got up my courage and stepped back inside the harness. Flying is an amazing feeling. Ben, the older australian went up twice in a row, but after doing one two many backflips he actually blacked out. He came back to conciousness really fast but still felt dizzy. Even though Emma and I had to go home, we felt like we should at least deliver him to his parents. So we did so and when we finally got home at about ten thirty, Emma told me to be relaly quiet inside the house. I was going to sleep over at her house and both our host parents said that it was okay. At eleven, Emma got a phone call from her host mother asking us where we were. When we said we were at the house, her host mother was really relieved. I think we're dealing with a cultural difference. In Thailand, we should announce that we are home. In the U.S. if everybody is asleep, no matter how early it is, you just go to your room and go to bed. So, it's about eleven and Emma and I are not sleepy yet, so what do we do? We have a fashion show. Fun times.

Just a word: I know that it seems like I spend all my time with Emma. In reality, I just spent an entire week with thai friend and I have a lot of time that I spend with thai people. I'm praised for how well I speak thai. So I think I'm okay.

P.S. I love you all. Thanks for commenting and being supportive.

5 comments:

BK said...

Bungee jumping, staying in a Bangkok penthouse, rolling around in a hamster ball. What next?

happycarrotbreanna said...

GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!
I'M JEALOUS!

Missy said...

that sounds so cool! i'm so jealous!

Rob and Sara said...

Soooo.... Will we get to see any photos or (better yet) video of your traditional Thai dance? :D

Sounds like a lotta work — but fun and, definitely, something you'll always remember!!!

Anonymous said...

Are you taller than your dance associates--or do you simply "blend in?"