Sunday, October 19, 2008

Just thinking...

I've been having my make up done. Alot. Mainly because I'm part of the thai dance group and so I have to get all dressed up for performances, but what's interesting is how thai people say "open and close your eyes." When I'm supposed to close my eyes they say, "come back or go back" and when I'm supposed to open my eyes, they say "forget."
Is this some buddhist remnant? Where do we go when we close our eyes? Do we go back to ourselves? Is it a reminder that when we close our eyes we go back to a place only we know. I'm not sure. What surprises me is "forget." What do we forget when our eyes open? In western culture, opening ones' eyes means a realization, an epiphany or simply noticing life. It means in no way, "forget." Yet in buddhism, the point of life is to escape into our psyche, solve our faults and fade away into nirvana. Is that what I'm supposed to forget? Nirvana?
It's a strange choice of words to use when putting on pounds of eyeshadow.

4 comments:

emmaelizabeth said...

bahaha
you are part of the thai dance group?
am i going to have such an honour? :P
how many performances have you done? or are they just putting on makeup for fun?

bangkok is rad. im going today to lurk for books, and bam gave me all three seasons of PRISON BREAK!!
this means you are now dubbed and i will make you watch all three seasons.. it will be glorious.

see you next week.
peace and love <3

Lioness said...

Oh and Emma! I found a BETTER DVD rental place also near the seven eleven... I think this was the one your host mother was talking about. It has a much better selection and the dvd's are not cheapo pirated ones either. My third host mother gave me a membership card. So we're in for some fun! ^^

Jared Stryker said...

That's deep Suzanne....
How come all the word verification things sound like prescription drugs? "Pahxr" is what I had to type in..

BK said...

thai sounds poetic...like how your dad described Persian to me once. I saw Carmen on DVD the other night (an English production, no names you'd recognize), and it got me thinking about romance languages and how contextual they are as opposed to English and German which are so precise in many ways. Complex grammar and large vocabularies can make our language quite challenging to learn. Precision can be mundane, though, while opacity and context lead to more playfulness. I can't wait to hear more about Thai!!