Sunday, April 5, 2009

Nerves

Transitions are always difficult. Moving host families was so hard for me emotionally and physically. I don't know how I've accumulated all this stuff. I was told that I would be moving into town. Not so.
I moved into yet another village. After insisting that I need to be near internet access for various reasons after not having constant internet access for months, I am able to spend most nights out of the week in town. The house in the village is interesting. My bedroom ceiling slopes towards the ground and the mice that live above me occasionally poke their noses down the holes they have carved in my bedroom walls and ceiling. The windows are screenless and so I get all kinds of visitors into my abode.
I also have a traditional thai shower aka a large tub filled with water and a large ladle. At night the geckos bray loudly. GE ko GE ko.

My new host father's nickname is Golf. It's a name that seems to be following me everywhere. His nickname is golf because he is obsessed with the sport. He views it as the american dream. Play the sport well and make millions of american dollars. Tiger Woods is his idol. Half african-american and half thai (according to my host dad--I myself am not sure) in thailand, he would be the lowest of the low on the caste system. In the U.S. he's one of the wealthiest celebrities and his name is known worldwide. Golf defies the class structure. My host father is certain that if he can teach me how to play golf well, he will instantly give me a better future.

My host brother Bam is around twenty years old. He's been trying to flirt with me since he met me. Flirting in thailand is on a much subtler scale. It's all about eyebrow raising and conversation. First he'll ask me where I'm from. After "discovering" that I'm from the U.S. HE will want to speak english with me. He'll ask what the difference between the subject and an object is. After I explain he'll feign understanding and promptly give up on trying to speak english with me. I've been through this before.
My last older host brother went through the same phase. He even started carrying around an english thai dictionary. They both eventually realize that I speak much more thai than they speak english and that it is simply easier to speak to me in thai. Then they realize what grade I'm in and that I don't plan on getting married to a thai man and living in a village the rest of my life and the flirting stops.

I moved houses at 10 in the morning. After my suitcases left the car I was promptly introduced to the entire village. Old women all rubbed my arms for good luck. I spent two weeks in the sun and I still have "white" skin.

Another exchange student friend and I have realized why rotary has three host families. At the beginning of each new family, the family is cautious and doesn't yet know our capabilities. I have a strict curfew of 5: 30 pm every night with my new host family and am not allowed to travel anywhere alone. My friend Colette has lived with the same family for the entire year and now that they know her well, she has all the freedom she would have had in the U.S. We joke about the three host family situation is not for better cultural understanding...it's to keep us under control.

4 comments:

emmaelizabeth said...

i really don't think your host brother is flirting with you
you know thai people (and in particulary thai boys) well enough that they are VERY friendly.
don't let it bother you, he's just excited to have a falang girl in the house

i too have a bucket. it's cold! i'm glad to hear you can spend most of your time in town

Lioness said...

Nope. I'm pretty sure I know thai boys. They are VERY friendly but I'm pretty sure this one is flirting, or trying to. Niether Pop nor PingPong nor harp or even bong tried to flirt with me the way Bam did.

david1082 said...

Brother-sister incest is punished with 116 years hard labour in Thailand I believe......

Marci said...

Hi Suzy, I believe you have previously contacted my daughter - Jessica - she is the outbound '09/'10 Rotary 5110 exchange student to Thailand. She showed me your Blog and I can't tell you how wonderful it has been to read. As you can imagine I have so many questions and concerns and was wondering if you could ask your mother if she would be open to speaking with me. If so, could you ask her to e-mail me at mjohnson1015@msn.com. I wish you all the best and keep writing we are enjoying it. Thanks again. Marci Johnson